NADMO seeks to enhance the capacity of society to prevent and manage disasters and to improve the livelihood of the poor and vulnerable in rural communities through effective disaster management, social mobilisation and employment generation.
“To manage disasters by co-ordinating the resources of government institutions and non-governmental agencies, and developing the capacity of communities to respond effectively to disasters and improve their livelihood through social mobilization, employment generation and poverty reduction projects.”
This is done by:
- Reviewing of the National, Regional and District Disaster Management Plans (DDMPs) for effective implementation.
- Linking Disaster Management Programmes to the Ghana Poverty Reduction Strategy (GPRS), and re-afforestation.
- Building capacity of staff and stakeholders.
- Promoting Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Climate Change Risk Management countrywide.
- Public awareness creation through media discussions, public education and training of community members and Disaster Volunteer Groups (DVGs).
- Provision of skills and inputs for Disaster Volunteer Groups for employment generation and poverty reduction.
- Rehabilitation and reconstruction of educational and other social facilities destroyed by fire, floods rainstorms and other disasters.